Let him who is convinced that his views are true and right express them . . . at every opportunity . . . without considering how much support or how much opposition he will encounter. Only falsehood is in need of many supporters in order to win the day; falsehood must have the authority of numbers to make up for what it lacks in justification. Truth, by contrast, will always prevail, even if it takes time. Noble, courageous and pure, expressed with all the fiery zeal and conviction and with all clarity of sure awareness, stated again and again at every opportunity, truth will ultimately gain respect and admiration even of those who do not accept it. The only truth that can be lost beyond recall is that truth whose adherents no longer have the courage to speak up candidly on its behalf. Truth has never gone down in defeat as the result of opposition, it has done so only when its friends are too weak to defend it. - R' S.R. Hirsch

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Re-post . . .

Some may have noticed the deletion of my last post.  I was re-thinking some of the premises which led me to do some more research and consulting with colleagues and realized that my line of thinking was not entirely correct on a number of points.  You're never too old to learn.  I am revising accordingly, and hoping to re-post, G-d willing.  Stay tuned. 

4 comments:

  1. I hope my question didn't throw the your whole paradigm off.

    I'm not sure that your original post was very far off the mark. If we take the example of marriage in Eden as the ideal, I think we can gain a great deal of wisdom as to how marriage is supposed to work.

    IMO, Marriage is supposed to:
    1.Impart sexual intimacy
    2.Provide companionship
    3.Procreate
    4.Teach us spiritual wisdom
    5.Prepare us for the next life

    IF those things are true, then what you posted is basically correct. Unfortunately we no longer live in Eden. As sinners living in a sinful world every good intended for us is under attack and used to keep us from #4 and #5 on my list. In response to that, in a limited number of circumstances, we are allowed a "do over".

    Again IMO there is a distinct difference between historic Judaism's marriage practices and NT teaching. As you mentioned Paul gives counsel that he indicated was imparted from the Holy Spirit. In that counsel he distinguished between groups of people and their individual circumstances. IF such distinction is possible then we must be careful to rightly divide the word and properly judge individual circumstances as they occur, without compromising the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know God hates divorce. I know we divorce far to often in our country. But I don't really know if God allows us to remarry afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Res Ipsa

    "I hope my question didn't throw the your whole paradigm off."

    Not at all. Upon deeper reflection, I realized I needed to consider and examine a couple of aspects of the paradigm more carefully, and some errors in my thinking were pointed out to me, errors which I need to correct.

    My re-post may cause you to re-frame your question, or I may be better equipped to answer your original question from within a more proper framework and understanding.

    This illustrates one of the things I love and appreciate about Judaism: one has never arrived in his learning and must always remain open to correction if one's views are demonstrated to be erroneous or lacking. Mine clearly were in this case and this is why I am so grateful for my colleagues and mentors in this regard. Much better for my pride to suffer a little damage than the truth.

    Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My re-post may cause you to re-frame your question,

    I'll wait and see how that comes out.

    The basic idea behind my earlier scenario is sexual fraud. The controlling factor of virginity is one that the man would be unable to maintain sexual integrity and be able to investigate prior to saying the vows in a modern marriage.

    I know how I would answer the question. I would allow him to end the marriage and seek another mate provided he dismissed her as soon as practical after discovering the lie.

    ReplyDelete